20 February 2015

FitDog Friday #64 - Mr. N's Love Affair with Horses

We were at the beach last weekend, waiting to meet Bethany. Suddenly, Mr. N goes flying off. I assumed there was a dog somewhere that he was anxious to meet and started following him.

Then I saw about a dozen horses in the distance and Mr. N running circles around their feet, barking his little head off. I immediately started freaking out and ran towards him. I was sure he was going to be trampled.


I think I've mentioned this on the blog before but Mr. N loses his mind over horses. If I had known there were going to be horses on the beach, he would have stayed firmly leashed. I can call him off other dogs, birds, and dead things but we so rarely see horses that I don't really get a chance to train specifically for that.

He was way too far ahead to even hear my voice anyway. He was about a half mile ahead. Several bystanders were trying to catch Mr. N but he was having none of it. Catching dogs who don't want to be caught is hard. Catching a tiny dog (there's really not much of him to grab) who is sand-colored and agile and fast and has all the brains? Near impossible.

To his credit, as soon as he saw me, he came running over. I immediately scooped him up and we walked far away from those horses and he went back on leash. He saw those horses again later (on leash) and he was calm. Maybe he got all those hi jinks out of his system.

Those horses belong to a company that hires them out for guided trail rides for tourists and are thus calm and sedate and used to shenanigans. I am very, very grateful that Mr. N made it out in one piece. I'm pretty sure Mr. N enjoyed every minute of it.

So not ashamed.

13 comments:

  1. OH my...naughty, naughty!
    Dante doesn't know what to do with horses either, I think he wants to chase them.
    He's only seen horses twice, once out hiking - we surprised each other, came around a corner and their was a horse and rider! On a good note except for Dante barking everything was fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he looks like he had a good time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mr. N...be careful, they have enticing smells and 'deposits' but they can be dangerous to a little guy like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing Mr. N's adventure had a happy ending! He does seem to say "Come on, Mom, that was fun, let's do it again!" in the picture ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister Katie had a thing for chasing horses as a youngster. Up on the North Sea coast they also had riding groups on the beach. Katie took off after them a few times and gave Mom a heart attack. She didn't stop and return to Mom until she felt like it and Mom got in trouble a few times, but no actual harm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just glad it was all OK. I'm sure Mr. N would do it again, given the chance, but highly doubt he'll have that chance again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am glad he didn't get smashed. Storm likes horses too because they poop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad Mr. N is ok! I would have had a heart attack. Barley's only up-close encounter with horses went really well--we had to pass them on a trail and she was curious, but she didn't bark or anything. When she sees them while we're in the car, though, she loses her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You told those horses didn't you? I only met a pony once and barked at it a lot. Love Dollly

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMB you're Naughty Mr N,mind you I like Horses too,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. N. I can so relate to your fetish about horses. I understand you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I can see his smile. Those horses made his day!
    --Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete

My Five Favorite Positive Training Tools for Dogs

Tools are an essential part of life and dog training especially when your dog has figured out how to use items as tools. These are some of m...