27 January 2014

Monday Mischief #21 - Human Barks at Dog

Onyxx's second (and my third) class went a lot better than the last one. The mastiff mix wants to be BFFs with Onyxx but Onyxx ignores him in favor of food. Only one of the kids was there and he stayed away from us. The instructor told him not to practice with Onyxx (we rotated) for the "off" portion of the class. Onyxx doesn't really jump on people so he practiced greeting strangers. Which is probably his weakest point. 

Everyone else raised their hands when asked if their dogs jumped or pulled. Then the instructor asked us, and I was like well nope he never pulls. I'm starting to wonder if the rest of the class thinks Onyxx is (mostly) magically trained. Because he isn't! 

After class, the instructor said Onyxx did extremely well and I must have put a lot of time into him. Yes, I spend a lot of time trying to cram some tricks and manners into his little Chihuahua brain. 

Mr. N wants to be good. And praised. And applauded. Onyxx wants to be fed. Mr. N won't work solely for praise all the time but he does like being told he's good. Onyxx has trouble performing without treats. I routinely have to "shove" Mr. N out of the way when practicing with Onyxx even if there's no food involved. 

I think I was spoiled having Mr. N to train first. 

The boyfriend says Mr. N is good indoors and is "bad" outdoors (due to his leash reactivity which is slowly getting better). And Onyxx is bad indoors (he's always sneaking off to the kitchen and trying to eat food) and good outdoors. Which is better? 

Also the boyfriend has discovered that if he barks, Onyxx will bark back. Oh joy. Mr. N is above such things. 

I've finished Onyxx's video. Anything I should change or fix?

17 comments:

  1. Excellent! What pawesome forever home wouldn't want that brilliant little cutie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video. I'd adopt him myself if I weren't in NJ, and already had three dogs and four cats. What an awesome foster you are to put such time into a dog to help him find a home. I know this story will have a happy ending.

    --Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Y'all!

    Hey, I do much better work if I know I'm gettin' paid! (treats)

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your other comments...can't believe someone doesn't have a gret forever home waiting for this guy. He's cute and does tricks! You've done a great job with him...sure you don't want to keep him ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. No... even if we wanted to be a two dog household (which we don't), he's not the right fit for us. He can't keep up with Mr. N (both as a playmate and exercise-wise so we'd have to leave him home when we go hiking/do sports) and he's not therapy dog material (I really want to do therapy work in the future), I have my hands full with Mr. N and the boyfriend doesn't particularly want a dog of his own. Onyxx would really be happier with someone who was retired and would pet him all day.

      Delete
  5. He is such an awesome little guy. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last about the boyfriend barking made me BOL! Y'know, you're doing a great job and making progress with both of your dogs. I wouldn't worry about which is better, comparing the two. You're obviously working hard and so are they. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was more of a joke than anything. It's just funny how they have such drastically different personalities.

      Delete
  7. Oh my. Scooter barks if we bark too.

    Also howls at sirens, opera singing (on tv) and certain commercials ;)

    His howl is SO loud, everyone always just cracks up. You cannot believe the volume that comes out of this little guy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the video!
    Neither of my dogs are super strongly food motivated - sometimes I think that would just be a nice constant to have for training. Your pockets may forever be lined with treat dust, but at least you know what always works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you train with? Both dogs work consistently for food best but like you said I have treat dust everywhere!

      Delete
  9. Oh, my gosh! So sweet!! I'm having to experience the opposite of food motivation with our current foster! All 3 of my guys will work for food... she will not! Modifying my practice to include praise has turned into a pretty steep learning curve for me. You're keeping me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Onyxx was a steep learning curve for me. Like I said above, he's not very biddable. And the boys have totally different learning styles. Mr. N is a "thinker" and Onyxx just flings things that he think might work. He gets too overstimulated to work with a clicker so I've been using luring.

      Delete
  10. I hope Onyxx finds his forever home soon! He's such a cutie and you've done such a great job with him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys rock, you're doing such a good job with both of their training, I hope Onyx finds his forever home soon, wherever it is they'll be super lucky! :)

    I hope you're having a fun day,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete

My Five Favorite Positive Training Tools for Dogs

Tools are an essential part of life and dog training especially when your dog has figured out how to use items as tools. These are some of m...