09 February 2015

Monday Mischief #57 - Too Scruffy Dog

I have a very scientific fashion of determining whether or not Mr. N has to go to the groomer. When I look at him, and decide he is simply too scruffy to tolerate for much longer, I pick up the phone and make an appointment.

Right now, his hair is probably the longest it's ever been. I decided to let him grow it out when we went to Michigan for Christmas. I figured he needed all the hair he could get. It's scant protection against Midwest temperatures but it's something. He has had his nails trimmed and his face touched up since then but he hasn't had a haircut since October. He normally goes about every nine, ten weeks.

I brush Mr. N daily and his hair has been getting tangled a little more than usual (this rain isn't helping either). I've been thinking about taking him in later this month but I decided I need to call the groomer tomorrow.

 The kicker was when we had a guest over and she remarked that it looked like Mr. N was bigger. This is not because he has gotten fat. And it's definitely not a late growth spurt.

It's all his fluff and hair. The boyfriend said that once he gets groomed, Mr. N is going to look like he has shrunk drastically. Maybe she'll ask us if we got a new dog.

How do you decide when your dog should go to the groomer? Or get a bath? And am I the only one who thinks their dog looks like a totally different dog once they're back from the groomer?


10 comments:

  1. My indicator is when Harley's eyes are covered up. His hair grows so fast, I do mini trims all the time. I will admit though, I do love the long and shaggy look during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, right now you can't see Mr. N's eyes very well either. He definitely needs his bangs trimmed.

      Delete
  2. We're lucky that we don't need hair cuts. We do go to the groomer for our nail clipping though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barley is relatively low maintenance, so she doesn't go to the groomer, but I had to break down and give her a bath yesterday. She hadn't had one in a while because it's been so cold and she takes so long to dry (and the hair dryer is the most terrifying thing she's ever experienced), so I didn't want to get her wet and then have her go out in single digits to potty. But she kept putting her toes on my pillow while we were snuggling and I couldn't take the scent of fritos anymore! So when we got a "warm" spell yesterday, she went straight to the tub. Usually, the indicator is when her whites aren't so white anymore--usually she looks a little grungy before she starts smelling weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mr. N got more baths than our foster pup because Mr. N is light-colored and the foster pup was black and you could just see the dirt so much better on Mr. N. And then I would see the little dirt tracks the foster pup would leave on the white sheets...

      Delete
  4. Our mom helps out at a groomers so we never miss a visit! Bleh!! Although we love the attention!! BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people I've groomed dogs for have commented on their dogs shrinking. LOL! I tend to recommend that everyone with hair-type dogs not go over 8 weeks without grooming. Usually it's 6-8 depending on how the owner cares for them at home. I'm glad you brush him every day. Most people don't.

    I wash my dogs every other week up to once a month depending on the season. In the rainy season I wash them more often. If they smell or their fur feels funny, I wash them! Most people freak out when I tell them that my short haired dogs are bathed regularly but they sleep on the couch and in bed! No dirty dogs allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mauja and Atka get brushed a few times a week, but only get bathed 4-5 times a year. Pyr coats do MUCH better with infrequent bathing. When it seems like their coat is starting to blow, it's bath time. It really helps get the loose, dead coat out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll have to post the before and after pics so we can see the difference. I've never had a dog that needed grooing, only baths. And we just go by smell as for when a bath is needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We give the dogs baths when they look especially dirty, and probably only every 3 months at the most (less in the winter). If Sheba starts to get mats I figure it's time for the groomer. That and when the fur between her toes gets out of control. I'll trim her paws once in between grooming visits when they start to look crazy.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete

My Five Favorite Positive Training Tools for Dogs

Tools are an essential part of life and dog training especially when your dog has figured out how to use items as tools. These are some of m...