03 April 2015

Preparing for a Road Trip with a Dog

For my birthday, we're heading to Bend this weekend. We booked a dog-friendly room, Mr. N is freshly groomed and I've told him he needs to comport himself like a gentleman while we're there. 

This is Mr. N's you better not think of going anywhere without me face. By: One Lifetime Photography
He really needs his own suitcase at this point. I feel like he has almost as much stuff as I do. I typically bring:

  • Food and lots of treats and a chew. I usually bring freeze-dried food because Mr. N refuses to eat kibble and dehydrated food, it takes him days to finish a can of food and raw is inconvenient unless you have a fridge. I've read about bringing your local water but so far Mr. N has been fine without it.
  • Vaccination records. I keep his rabies and license tag on my key chain. 
  • Medications and supplements. 
  • His water bowl and a collapsible bowl for food. 
  • Plastic bags.
  • Grooming supplies. A brush, wipes, water-less shampoo, and an old towel. I bring his toothbrush and toothpaste on longer trips. 
  • His mat and some favorite toys.
  • An extra leash/harness and a rain coat and fleeces. If we're going hiking, I normally pack two because inevitably one will get wet or dirty and he'll need to change. Just like traveling with a toddler! 
  • I might bring a clicker and his odor kit so we can get some practice in. 
Is there anything I'm missing? Any recommendations for things to do there? 

18 comments:

  1. Look at you.

    sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo and you even match the bars you are posing with! Have a fun time and thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - we used to have what we called the "Sally Bag" to cart around all of our Sally's stuff. As soon as she saw us get it out she started getting excited. Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm seriously tempted to get him his own suitcase!

      Delete
  4. My mom has a bag that she takes when we leave the house, dad thought she was nuts until the first time she needed something out of it! Stopping by from the hop, hope you will come by and say hi
    Kiki
    A Happy Havanese

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've got everything! I have a little first aid kit I keep in our hiking pack just in case, but otherwise our list looks just like yours! The mat is the big important thing for us, though, because Barley needs a spot that she knows is hers when we're in unfamiliar territory. Hope you have a great trip and a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Mr. N just claims all territory as his so he'll be fine. He likes the softest surfaces best.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you have everything! I always pack a full suitcase for the girls and I always over pack! Hey, you never know when you will absolutely need something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. License tag on the keychain, that's a good idea. I've got old dog tags on my keys, but just their names and phone number. Mostly because I can't bear to part with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, Mr. N is supposed to wear it on his collar but they're huge. Animal Control said that as long as I have it on me, it should "probably be OK."

      Delete
  8. Have fun. Sounds like you have it covered. I always bring an extra towel or two just in case. One usually goes under the bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you thought of everything! Every single time we take the pups along on a weekend trip, our Jeep is crammed full to the top ~ 2 medium-to large size dogs have a lot in their suitcases ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our trips aren't that full, it helps that Mr. N's things are all pint-sized.

      Delete
  10. Great reminders for traveling with your dog! Have fun Mr. N and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you have a great time!! We don't travel with the dogs yet, but I hope to in the future, so now I know what I'm in for....a lot more packing! :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny. Mr. N. is a lot like Harley in regards to traveling. I will be leaving for Charleston at the end of the month and I am laughing already because I will have to trade up for a bigger bag to add Jax's belongings. Have fun, be safe and take lot's of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like Mr. N. forgot to pack his pants....

    ReplyDelete

My Five Favorite Positive Training Tools for Dogs

Tools are an essential part of life and dog training especially when your dog has figured out how to use items as tools. These are some of m...